My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right? ~ Charles Schulz, “Peanuts” cartoonist
My spirit guides and I often get questions about life’s purpose. Many folks feel life, especially in our seemingly chaotic world, has no purpose. Worse, they feel totally useless, like a rudderless ship at sea. They’re drifting aimlessly and sadly from one day to the next, from one moment to the next.
Despite Charles Schulz’s words above, his life obviously had a purpose. He was passionately committed to that purpose, to bringing joy and laughter to many millions around the world with his wildly successful Peanuts cartoons. (Even at my age I still read Peanuts, one of my favorite cartoons.)
Here’s part of a particularly poignant letter one of our readers sent us:
I think (lack of purpose) is one of the most awful things that can happen to a person—to become a totally useless human being!
I have so many dreams, so many hopes, yet NOTHING ever pans out. And for all the education and skills I have (count ’em! Not one, but THREE degrees and more!), I can’t get a decent job if my life depended on it!
Why am I so useless, I wonder?
Having no purpose is a cruel thing.
What does spirit say about getting around such a mess, I wonder?
I have tried contacting my Guide, my Higher Self—All to no avail. I can’t even do THAT right!
Sometimes I think if it were possible to be euthanized for being a useless human being, I would be the first to line up for that.
Thank you for considering my request about “purpose” (or not having any).
We may sound a bit harsh here, but there is absolutely no such thing as a useless human being, no matter often you think you’ve “failed.” You would not be on your planet today if you were useless.
You came here to fulfill a purpose, a divine destiny. If you do not yet know what that purpose, that destiny is, that’s okay. You have NOT failed. You are NOT useless.
We urge those of you who may be feeling the same as our letter writer to quit beating up on yourselves! You deserve better than that. And it is entirely within you power to totally turn your lives around.
How can you do that? Let us count some of the ways you might consider, some of the thoughts you might find appealing.
- Just because it seems “nothing ever pans out” does not mean nothing ever will pan out.
- Remember, you are in control of your life. Your thoughts carry immense power. Use that power to create what you want, to create your divine destiny.
- That means to quit telling yourselves you are useless. Use your power to think about what you do want, not what you don’t.
- Your spirit guides and higher selves are always right there with you—always. They want you to achieve your destiny as much as you do.
- Ask your guides and higher selves for help, and then know that help is on the way. It is not possible for you not to receive guidance from your higher selves and spirit guides. It’s there right now. All you have to do is open your eyes and see it.
- It does not matter how many degrees you have, how many people you know, how many talents you have. All that matters is for you to know you are powerful, you can create whatever you focus on.
- Get absolutely clear on what you want to manifest in your life. Tell yourself it has already happened, it already exists. Because it does.
- If you have imagined it, if you have dreamed it, then it already exists in the field of all possibilities, beyond time and space.
- In many ways, the most important thought for you to hold is seeing your destiny as benefiting your fellow human beings. That must be your primary focus. Then you will also benefit.
- You cannot give to others without also giving to yourselves. And you can give only what you already have. That is your destiny, regardless of the specific path you follow.
- Give only abundance, joy, peace and love. Then all that will be yours. It already is yours. Just open your eyes and you will see.
Copyright © 2017 by John Cali
Please share your thoughts with us below.
Feel free to share this message with family and friends. If you have received it from a friend, you may sign up to receive your own free messages weekly by going here.
Note: We update this blog every Saturday morning at 4:00 a.m. New York (eastern) time.
Here’s a wonderful video, Is There a Purpose to Living? by one of my favorite spiritual teachers, Alan Watts.
What other subjects would you like us to talk about in these posts? Please email me.