Yesterday morning I went to Frank’s Barber Shop for a haircut. We’ve talked about Frank before.
Frank and I were having our usual, friendly chat. He was joking around and laughing, talking about the funny things he often observed about people and the world. I told him he was entertaining, and fun to be around because he was always laughing and joyful.
He paused in mid-stride and became thoughtful for a moment. Then he said, “Well, I’ve been laughing all my life.” (Frank, besides being a barber, is also a semi-professional singer and musician.)
Then we got to talking about the benefits of simply having fun and laughing a lot. Frank is nearly 80 years old, and he’s still going strong. He works every day in his barber shop. And I have no doubt he’s brought more fun and joy into more people’s lives than almost anyone else I know.
It shows too—he’s in better physical shape, and mentally sharper, than lots of folks 30 or 40 years younger. It’s obvious his positive outlook on life has kept him young and active. He’s certainly a great inspiration to me.
Here are a few things Spirit has said over the years about having fun:
- Seldom does your world define success to include having fun along the way.
- Your purpose in life is to enjoy the journey—to have fun, laugh, play, romp—to enjoy the pleasures of being physical.
- You don’t have to work hard or struggle to achieve success. You just have to have fun along the way.
- Life is not all that serious. It’s supposed to be fun.
- The quickest way to manifest your dreams is to find joy, pleasure, and passion right where you are now.
- Life is really simple. It’s all about joy. If you’re finding and living your joy, you are a success.
- Every thought you think has powerful effects on everyone and everything on the planet. So choose thoughts of love and peace. Have fun. Be joyful.
- Joy is the only true measure of success.
- Joy is your life’s purpose.
Do you have anyone like Frank in your life? Do you believe having fun and laughing can help and even heal you? Please share your thoughts with us below.
We welcome your comments and thoughtful opinions, whether you agree or disagree with us. Please keep your comments polite and relevant to the topic of this post. If needed, we’ll edit for clarity. Also, we’ll delete anything we consider inappropriate.