Whenever my spirit guides or I tell folks our natural state is to be happy, we usually get some strange responses—and even some angry arguments.
Some of the usual arguments go like this:
How can I be happy in a world that’s falling apart?
How can I be happy when my loved ones are not happy?
How can I be happy when I have no money?
How can happiness be our natural state? That doesn’t make sense.
And so on and on.
One of my favorites cartoons is Peanuts. In a recent one Lucy was asking Snoopy how he could be so happy when he had no idea what the new year would bring. She said he’d be better off to live in “dread and fear”—that would be the safe and sane thing to do.
The common thread in most of these arguments is folks are giving their power away to someone or something outside themselves. Why can’t we be happy for no reason?
Here are some of Spirit’s thoughts:
- Unhappiness is not your natural state of being, and never has been. Happiness is your natural state of being.
- Even if you chose challenging circumstances into which to be born, you chose them because you intended to find joy here, to find happiness in exercising your divine creative powers.
- Happiness is a choice you can freely make. Unhappiness is a choice you can freely make. No one, nothing can compel you to be either happy or unhappy.
- You are in control. Don’t give your power away. You’re far more powerful and wise than most of you imagine.
- We don’t expect you to be happy every moment of your earthly lives. But if you make happiness a habit you will find it much easier to return to it if you temporarily lose it. And to stay happy more and more.
- We know your modern world is a challenging place to live. But you chose it. And you didn’t choose it because you wanted to be miserable. You chose it because you thought there would be some fun in meeting the challenge.
- So, to echo John’s words, why not be happy for no reason?
Do you struggle to be happy? What can you do about it? Please share your thoughts and comments with us below.
We welcome your comments and thoughtful opinions, whether you agree or disagree with us. Please keep your comments polite and relevant to the topic of this post. If needed, we’ll edit for clarity. Also, we’ll delete anything we consider inappropriate.