We received the following question from one of our readers:
“Should we put our self first in all things, or are we supposed to put others first?”
You’ve probably often heard these admonitions:
- Think only of others.
- Love others unconditionally.
- Put others before yourself.
- Be of service to others.
Those are noble-sounding sentiments. But they will guarantee you a life of misery and joylessness.
You serve absolutely no one if you do not serve yourself first. For it is only when you appreciate and love yourself first that you are empowered to fully appreciate and love others. It is only when you are self-focused enough to seek joy in your own life that you can be of true service to others.
A single being in a state of deep joy sets up a vibration many millions of times more powerful than the combined vibrations of millions in a state of despair and hopelessness. That is the power of joy.
The more you put yourself first, the more joy you seek, the more you will be of service to others.
Do you feel comfortable putting yourself before others. Whether you do or do not, why? Please share your thoughts with us below.
We welcome your comments and thoughtful opinions. Please keep them kind and compassionate. If needed, we’ll edit for clarity. Also, we’ll delete anything we consider inappropriate.
We’re starting a question-and-answer feature in this blog. We invite all of you to send us your questions. We’ll publish Spirit’s answers in occasional blog posts. Please follow these guidelines:
1. Keep your questions “on topic” — that is, on the subjects we cover in our blog and newsletter.
2. Your questions should be of interest to all our readers. If you have personal questions, those would be more appropriately covered in private readings.
3. Email me your questions. While I cannot guarantee we’ll be able to answer all questions, we’ll do as many as we can.